Thursday, 12 January 2017

Think Write Thursday

Carole and Kat offer this prompt for today's Think Write Thursday: "plan a dinner party, inviting 3 people, living or dead. To guide you, consider some or all of these questions: obviously, who will you invite? how will you invite them? what will you serve? will it be a fancy dinner or a casual affair? what will the topics of conversation be? who will go home early and who will stay the longest?"

It's tough to narrow it down to just three people, to be honest. But a dinner party isn't like a wedding where you could invite hundreds. If you did have hundreds of guests, you'd get precious little time with any of them. So, a dinner party with three carefully-selected individuals it is.

Since this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, or at least the first one, I must choose as though it will never happen again.

Therefore, inviting Jesus is a no-brainer. In fact, he would likely be a guest at any of my dinner parties, since his presence would always result in the unexpected. What words of wisdom would he share? Whom might he single out for special attention (probably the hostess)? How would he pierce the heart of a matter?

Peter, the disciple, would be cool to have at the table as well. He was always sticking his foot in his mouth or acting without thinking, and we all love him for his honesty and imperfection. But maybe it's copping out to have two Biblical figures at my gathering. In that case, I'd love to have singer-songwriter-musician Rich Mullins as my second guest. He was perhaps a contemporary version of Peter - a flawed human being who loved the Lord and had a heart for people. One of my favourite "ragamuffins." An arrow, as they say, pointing toward heaven. Maybe he would sing for us.

  I think I should invite a female for my third, so I'm not totally outnumbered by the men. Somehow it's a little harder to think of a woman - at least a well-known one. But you know, I would really like to meet my maternal grandmother's mother, Rosanna. She was adopted into a wealthy family and pretty much disowned when she married a comparative pauper for love. She had eight children and did her best to raise them under difficult conditions. While I don't know how she would react to Rich Mullins, I'm sure she'd enjoy dinner with Jesus and would be down-to-earth and easy to please.

My menu would be pretty casual, even if a bit of work with the first two items on my list. I'm thinking lentil walnut loaf, homemade dinner rolls, baked potatoes, Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. I'd get my husband to make trifle for dessert (he's always offering to make trifle these days). Sparkling grape juice, or Jesus can turn the water into wine!

As for the conversation, I don't think it would be difficult. I'd invite Jesus to choose a topic and we'd take it from there...

How about you? If you could invite three people to dinner, living or dead, whom would you choose?

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic dinner! I thought about inviting my Nana, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it would be too painful to have her leave again. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat! Yes! That is probably why I didn't invite either of my grandparents to this dinner!

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and try to reply to each one!