Wednesday, 11 January 2017

Wednesday Word

So I discovered that Wednesday Word actually takes place on the first Wednesday of each month, not every week as I'd supposed. Clearly I'm a week late for January's word, involvement, but I'll give it a short go anyway.

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm involved in several things - writing, working, community life, family life, volunteering, etc. All of these, while good, do take up a person's time. The beginning of a new year is an appropriate time to reconsider one's activities in light of goals, hopes, dreams and plans. Am I doing too much? Not enough? Am I doing things I could delegate to someone else? Am I depriving a family member of the chance to learn a new skill, experience the sense of accomplishment, grow? Which involvements do I find most fulfilling or in line with what I want to achieve? That is where my efforts should be focused, though there are times I may have to meet someone else's needs instead of my own.

Family comes first, for sure. Relationships are more important than anything else we have. We need income-producing work in order to live (just the basics - food, clothing, shelter). Community and volunteering are valuable because they also revolve around relationships. It takes a village... 

So what can I set aside? My writing? It's essential to who I am as a person.

Ah-ha. How about the time I spend on e-mails and social media (i.e. Facebook)? While they're good ways to stay connected with others, they can also be time-suckers as a person gets side-tracked by all the clever memes and videos that are shared. Entertaining, yes, but value?

Julie Morgenstern has a book out called Never Check E-Mail in the Morning. Perhaps that's a good place to start.

I'm open to other suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all comments and try to reply to each one!