Monday 7 January 2019

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, readers! While I've done an abysmal job so far of blogging consistently on my website (and have deleted the old posts), once again I am going to try to do better. Today I'm starting Jeff Goins' 30-day 500-words-a-day writing challenge. Stick with me, and you might find daily posts for at least the next thirty days.

I have a few "words of the year" for 2019: organizing, finishing and relationships. If you haven't heard of having an overarching word for the year, I first heard about it through author Gretchen Rubin, and you can read some of her thoughts here.
Neat and tidy
So, why organizing? It seems obvious, doesn't it? I have a pretty disorganized home, especially when it comes to books and papers, and I need to get it under control - once. and. for. all. Years ago Julie Morgenstern's book Organizing from the Inside Out was very helpful in guiding our filing system plan, but we need to go through and pull out papers that no longer have value and file away the ones that are lying around. We also need to go through our bookshelves and sell or donate any books we no longer want. I know this may aghast my reading-loving friends who cannot part with books, and I hear you since I'm an author and librarian, but just like physical libraries, our bungalow has limited space, for books and everything else. 

It's not just papers, of course. Somehow we've inherited or acquired lots of other things that need to move along - clothes, ornaments, tools we no longer use, etc. I admit that I've kept things for my children for far too long (kids' clothes and toys, for example) when they should have been passed along and enjoyed by other children. Mine are now young adults in their early 20s and while they both hope to get married and settle down some day, short of a surprising change in their circumstances, it looks like that is still several years out. In the meantime, I could be using my cedar chest for my own out-of-season clothing (instead of baby and toddler wear for future grandchildren), and the room that houses our freezer and filing cabinet could be cleared of so many unused things from times passed.

I own four books on the subject of organizing, including Morgenstern’s and Sandra Felton’s TheMessies Manual. Anna Shepard’s Express Housekeeping and Donna Smallin Kuper’s Cleaning Plain & Simple focus more on cleaning, but do have chapters on decluttering. I’ve also recently borrowed two additional books from the library: Dana K. White’s How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind, which has a whole section on decluttering and another on making changes that last, and Erin Boyle’s Simple Matters, which tells you how to live with less and end up with more, starting with decluttering, simplifying and organizing. Clearly, there’s more to it than book acquisition and book knowledge. As with everything else, it’s going to be the application of principles that brings about the desired transformation. But I am determined. This is the year!

This brings me to the end of today's 500 words. What are your thoughts on organizing and decluttering? Do you have a word for the year?

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to your updates on the topic of home management, Susan. It’s something we can all relate to. Just when I think I am close to being organized, something comes up and I need to find something and it takes me some time to do it. Much more time than it should. I have a filing system but it has too many files in it. Now that I have more time at home I have done a little bit more work in these areas but certainly need to do more. I look forward to any of your tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, disorganization costs time in searching for things. Very frustrating. Thanks for reading the blog, and I'll do my best to share useful tips as I go along!

      Delete
  2. Nicely done! You sound so much like me (or I’m like you). I could have written this, albeit not as well :) K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again :) Glad to know I'm in good company!

      Delete

I appreciate all comments and try to reply to each one!